In this era where social media has taken over many people’s lives, businesses need to take this into account and adjust their marketing strategies accordingly. There are so many social media platforms that can be used to target prospective visitors and increase your business exposure. Reddit is one of the most popular ones. It is an online social media community where one can vote on content, submit links to online content, and basically be participative. Reddit users have increased considerably over the past couple of years and there are several active communities, so all in all it can be considered as an engaging and growing platform which could be used to your advantage.
How to Generate Traffic from Reddit
You could use Reddit to connect with your customers as well as to generate traffic for your website through it. For starters, you need to be a good Reddit user and to be so you need to be aware of certain things.
- You need to join this community, and be willing to participate by asking questions, and answering too. Ideally you should start by engaging in other users AMA’s (Ask me anything) before starting your own.
- Try to be realistic in what you discuss. You need to sound real and be engaging. Avoid using jargon or being overly technical.
- Up-votes and down-votes matter, and so does Karma – all Reddit submissions can be up-voted or down-voted. Comments can also get votes. These votes will have an effect on your Karma. This is basically the points they you get as a result of the number of up-voted and down-votes you are given for what you submit on Reddit. Now this is very important, because if the total Karma goes below a certain level your account could end up getting banned, and you need to avoid that at all costs.
- Reddit is very serious about spamming, so make sure you do not just submit links without bothering to read the rules. Also, do not submit too much as submitting a lot of links is not encouraged on Reddit. It is not about the quantity but about the quality in this case.
- You could coordinate responses to certain questions by having other business partners or employees be active too.
- Make sure you see to all questions. If you do not answer them all, at least make sure that you acknowledge them.
- Encourage interaction, that is, rather than simply posting something just for the sake of posting it, you need to use Reddit as a platform where you interact with others. So you need to encourage user submissions while improving your chances of having brand advocates.
- Eventually you can even build your own community or network. This is one of the best things about Reddit – being able to create a small community (a sub-Reddit) which allows people with similar interests to join together and discuss issues with each other. Sub-Reddits are the various categories within Reddit. With the right strategy you can start with one popular sub-Reddit, and eventually you can get those followers to go to another sub-Reddit on another similar topic. In this way you can manage to create a network with a large number of followers within the Reddit community.
So, these are some basic tips that will help you to become a good and active Reddit user. As you improve your reputation and your level of activity, you are going to improve your business’s exposure. If you follow the following tips and recommendations, you are going to significantly increase the number of site visitors you can get through Reddit.
First of all, you need to make sure you get more up-votes than down-votes, because in such a way you can retain a good Karma, as well as improve your chances of getting your link on the front page of Reddit. And to do this you need to make sure that you choose what you are going to submit wisely.
- Try to submit new stories and something that is relevant and engaging. The content needs to be interesting.
- Do not submit your own links only. This will make you look like a spammer. You could occasionally share content from other popular sites, as long as the content is worth sharing and relevant. After all Reddit’s main aim is to get people to share valuable information with each other.
- Sharing content that is interesting, funny and humorous is generally the best option on Reddit.
- Photos, videos, and interviews tend to do well on Reddit.
- Make sure you give an interesting and captivating title to your link.
- It is very important that you submit your link to a proper sub-Reddit. Take into account the topic, as well as the number of followers on a particular sub-Reddit.
- The timing of the submissions also matters. There are certain times when there are going to be more active users even though there are time differences from one country to another.
Since Reddit is made of many different categories, you need to devote your time and effort by posting in the right ones. So you need to make sure that you choose wisely, and target the right audience. There are thousands of Reddit users and you need to get to know your audience, before you encourage them to get to know you, and your business.
Apart from that you need to make sure that you remain active. Avoid going to Reddit once in a while and then being invisible for several days. You need to be active and consistent. Your submissions need to be valuable and interesting, and you need to comment on them, answer to questions that users post on them, and be helpful. This is imperative to help you establish more credibility and to build up a good reputation.
So your goal needs to be to add value to your community on Reddit, and this will then lead to an increase in your exposure. In time, you will see that your traffic from Reddit will be bound to increase. It is all about bearing these things in mind, being patient, persistent and active ultimately!
Have you found any success using Reddit for online marketing? Please leave a comment.