Whether you’re planning on starting up your own business or have recently been offered a leadership role in your workplace, there are some important characteristics of a good team leader that you absolutely need to pick up. So to help you out, we’ve included six of the most important ones and also added an infographic at the bottom to help you get a better understanding of the skills you need as a leader.
- Be inclusive with your team members. Make sure you’re including all of your team members in talks and projects, making sure to give everyone an appropriate role to make use of their skills and experience.
- Never stop learning new skills. As a leader, you also need to continuously learn new skills and adapt your knowledge to be used as part of a team.
- Play to your team’s strengths. Don’t focus on the negative, such as things your team can’t do. Instead, focus on what your team is capable of.
- Understand the importance of communication. Encourage your team to communicate and don’t forget to stress its importance in keeping your team on the same page.
- Don’t be afraid of criticism. Don’t shy away from criticism–it helps you grow at a much faster rate than you’d think.
- Keep your business in mind, not you. Far too many leaders go off the rails and start thinking about their own personal needs instead of their company.
Infographic by University of Southern California